Monday, October 4, 2010

First Day of Preschool

Today was Jillian and Jake's first day of preschool. We enrolled them in DeBary Sonshine Academy last week, and they were both so excited to go to school today. After a few shopping trips (to get lunch boxes, sneakers, and food for lunches), we were ready. We've been building it up for the last week, getting them really excited about it, and it worked. They couldn't wait!

When we got to the school this morning, both of their classes were already out on the playground. (This school has a great playground - its huge with lots of stuff, and lots of shade.) Jillian said, "mom, you can go ahead and take our lunch boxes inside - me and Jakey will go out to the play ground." I explained that she had to come inside with me first, and I showed them where to put their lunch boxes. Then we put their blankets and spare clothes in their cubbies and went outside. As soon as I opened the gate to the playground, they TOOK OFF! They didn't look back at me once. At one point, I caught Jillian's eye and waved, and she waved back, but it was kind of a surprised wave, like, 'oh, you're still here mom?' Literally, within two minutes of running off, Jillian had found a few kids her age and started a game. I looked over, and she was leading a game of tag, and when I left, she was 'holding court' with a group of kids. It was like she didn't realize she was the new kid - to her, they were automatically her friends just because she was there. Jake did really well too. At first, he played with some things by himself, but by the time I left, he was hanging out with a few other kids his age. I was very happy that they both just went off and did their own thing - I was a little worried about them being in different classes, but it doesn't seem to have been a problem.


Jillian is in the 4 year old class. One good thing about this school is that they don't do the free voluntary pre-k program for four year olds. I mean, its not so good for us next year, because if we stay at this school it won't be free, but its good this year because it means she can be in the older class. The VPK schools aren't allowed to have 3 year olds in the 4 year old class. So this school allows Jillian to work closer to her level, and they'll continue to keep her challenged.
Jake is holding his lunch box normal....
until he looked over and saw how Jillian was holding hers, and he decided to do the same...

Jillian started getting fidgety. They were both so excited - it was hard to get them to stand still for these pictures.
"Come ON, mom! Let's go inside!"
When I picked them up this afternoon, Jake's teacher met me at the classroom door and told me that he did very good today. Then she said, "actually, he was the best one in here today." I loved hearing that! I asked him if he had fun and if he liked his class, and he said, "uh huh!" When I picked up Jillian, I asked her if school was fun, and she said, "it was super DUPER fun!" Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment