Sunday, December 13, 2009
Marshmallows and Christmas Cookies
On Thursday night, Rick brought home marshmallows and Christmas cookies, so we had a fun evening. Rick gave Jillian a "marsh-a-mellow" to eat while he got things ready for roasting. On the grill. Yeah, we live in the city. In an apartment. This is the best we can do.
Oops - caught one on fire!
After a few minutes, Rick went inside and got the fork thingie to use as well. Rick learned a painful lesson a few minutes later. As it turns out, that fork thingie gets hot. Really hot. Like, red hot. And apparently it hurts when you put your lips around it to eat a roasted marshmallow. Rick is currently sporting four fork shaped burns on his lips. Ouch!
Then, after dinner, Rick made the cookies and the icing. Jillian somehow got it into her head that we'd be painting the cookies rather than icing them, so we decided to let her.


And of course we needed sprinkles on our cookies!
As we were making these cookies, I was remembering a tradition my sister and I had with my dad when we were kids. My dad, Grandpa Mat, used to make a ton of sugar cookies, including at least three gingerbread men. It was a tradition for us to decorate those gingerbread men with as much icing, sprinkles, and decorating gel as we could, to make what we called a Neon Leon. My sister and I looked forward to making those cookies every Christmas. We hope to make memories like those with our kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What I remember the most about Neon Leon was that nobody wanted to eat them because they had so much stuff on them that they were really gross. I remember that too and make cookies with Morgan too.
ReplyDelete