Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sick Kiddo

I took Jillian to the doctor on Thursday, because I had a few concerns. She has the hurt toenail thing, which I wanted the doctor to look at, and she had developed this rash on her chest and back of her neck. Our regular doctor wasn't available, so we saw the nurse practitioner, and she was fab! We'll probably see her from now on, unless its something major.

Anyway, it turns out that the rash is a weird form of staph, where her hair follicles get infected. It itches, and so Jillian's been scratching it, and breaking skin, which has made it just that much worse. While we were there, the NP checked her ears, and she's got an ear infection in both. Oh, and a red throat, which may or may not be strep. Nice. I go in for a rash, and come out with several diagnoses. Oh, and the toenail. I'm supposed to just leave it alone and let it fall off.

Jillian is prone to ear infections, and I've never taken her to the doctor because I thought she had one. I always take her for something else, and they check, and sure enough, she'll have one. Now, I make sure to have them check every time we're at the doctor's office, even if it is an appointment for Jake. But she hadn't had one in a while, and was giving no indication that her ears (or throat) were hurting. Until Thursday evening. When we got home from the doctor's office, it was like everything clicked. That night, Jillian was up all night, telling me her ear and her tummy hurt, and scratching like crazy! Poor baby. She seems to be doing better now - I think all her medications are kicking in. Its just so hard knowing that she doesn't feel good.

As for her ears, I plan to take her, and Jake, to the chiropractor this week. We haven't been since December, so its time. Last time she had an ear infection, going to the chiropractor and getting adjusted cleared it right up. We'll have to start being a little more regular with that, to prevent the ear infections in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment