Sunday, October 4, 2009

The State Fair of Texas

The Great Texas State Fair! According to Rick, its the largest fair in the world. I'm not sure if its true or not, but it sure is a big fair, and it goes on for a month! We took the kids on Saturday, and we all had a great time. The weather was beautiful! We were all excited to go on the Ferris Wheel. Jillian started talking about it before we left the house, and as soon as we could see it from the road on our way to the fair, she was completely excited.

The fair opened at 10:00 a.m. and we were there right when it opened. Still, there was a pretty decent line for the Ferris Wheel, so we decided to ride it right away. Here's Jillian, waiting in line.

And Jake, relaxing while he waited in line.

The cars were completely enclosed, but I was still nervous the entire time. Jake was a wiggle worm and just wouldn't sit still - the only place he wanted to sit was in the little doorway area. And Jillian loved looking out at the fairgrounds.
We rode the carousel twice - once at the beginning of the day, and then again on our way out. I think Jillian's favorite part is picking out which horse to ride. She told me she wanted a girl horse!


Next stop - the petting zoo area. Jillian kept saying that we were going "to pet the animals, not ride on them!" She was really looking forward to this part of the fair, and she told us afterwards that it was her favorite part. Jake LOVED the animals. He had no fear - from the moment we walked in the barn area, he would just walk up to the animals and stick his hand out to pet them. I literally had to drag him from animal to animal.


There were a lot of different animals - more than just regular barnyard type animals. There were lots of babies - goats, piglets, a zebra, a camel, an alpaca, cows, deer, a kangaroo with a joey in his pouch, and a baby buffalo!


"Hey, you! Hey - I have some food for you! HEY! Hey!"
It was so funny to see Jillian with these cows. She was waving at them, and talking to them like they knew each other. "Moo, MOOOOOOO, MOOOOOOOOOO! Mooo! Moo! MOOOOO!" She was yelling at them and waving, and getting right up in their faces, like she couldn't understand why they weren't responding to her. She did the same with the pigs - it was so funny! A four-horned Jacob sheep. I had to take a picture of it, since its a Jacob!

"Hey! How about it? I have some food for you! Come here, I'll feed you! HEY! Hey you..."
Still no takers....

When Rick spotted these tractors, he made us go over to look at them. I told Jillian we were going to do boy stuff. As soon as we got to the tractor area, Jake lit up. We put him up on this tractor, and he started giggling and was happy as a clam.

Jillian's turn!
Jake got mad at us when we took him off the tractor and put Jillian on. He started trying to climb back on by himself!



They both had fun playing in this huge tire!
"Look Daddy! A horse!"

When we walked by these dancers, Jillian said, "mommy, they look like my dancer Barbie!"


Of course we had to go in the new car area. To make it fun for Jillian, I let her climb in the cars and try them out. She must have liked this one, because she got in it, looked around a bit, and then fastened herself in the seatbelt!
Big Tex! The state fair mascot!

Jillian loved these "garden butterflies."

Guess she was still hungry after lunch!

A guy in the street was blowing bubbles. Jillian went crazy trying to catch them!


I love this picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment