Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rainbow Cake

I had seen a recipe for making a rainbow cake, and decided to give it a try for the holiday weekend. I bought just a plain white cake mix, and made the batter according to the directions on the box. Then I divided the batter into six bowls, and used gel food coloring to create the rainbow colors. It took a lot more gel than I was thinking it would, but the colors turned out pretty vibrant. (After taking the pictures, I added more gel to each color, so they were even brighter than shown here.) Then I scooped the color into the pan, using a measuring cup and spoon. I went in order of the rainbow in the first pan (combining indigo and violet as just purple), and then in reverse order in the second pan. I did the first three colors in pan 1 (red, yellow, orange) and then did the second pan (purple, blue, green), so that I made sure to have enough batter. I just dumped the batter in, and tried to spread it out a bit.

The pans, with all of the layers. Into the oven they go!


I was a little disappointed with the colors when the cake came out of the oven. The cake wasn't very bright.
So I poked into the top of this one, and the purple exploded! It was so bright!

I iced it with plain chocolate icing, because that's what Rick wanted. Next time, I think we'll do something a little more exciting. Or at least a little more colorful!

The finished product! I think its beautiful!

Next time, I think I'll mix the yellow a little brighter.

Making this cake was so much fun. A lot of work, but it was worth it. Next time, in addition to more yellow coloring, I think I'll use two cake mixes. I think I needed the extra, in order to put a thicker layer of the first color in each pan. Everyone seemed to enjoy the cake. It was sort of confusing for my mouth though - it was expecting a different taste, I think. Because of the color, it seemed like it should have been a fruity flavor. But nope, just plain white cake. Can't wait to try it again - maybe for the next birthday party!

No comments:

Post a Comment