Tuesday, February 15, 2011

New House

We moved into our new house over the weeknd. We are all very excited to have more space - including a play room and individual rooms for the kids. Enough room for all of our stuff. The kids hadn't spent much time here before we actually spent the first night, because we did a lot of the moving while they were in school or staying with Grandma Lynne. So the first day we were here, they spent a lot of time just wandering around checking things out. Jillian was so funny - she would get lost in the house (the house is NOT that big). At one point, she was coming in through the kitchen and headed towards the kids' rooms, and she said, "mom, where's my playroom." I pointed her towards it, and she said, "oh yeah," and ran off (about 20 steps away).

The first night, Rick and I spent the night at the house by ourselves while the kids stayed with Grandma Lynne and Grandpa Rodney. It was our anniversary, and the very first time the kids have spent a night away from us. It went very well. So the second night, the kids were in their own rooms, and it took them awhile to fall asleep, but all went fairly well for the bedtime routine. When we were ready to go to bed, Jillian was still awake, and she came into our room shortly after we went to bed. She wanted me to put some socks on her feet, so I did, and told her to go back to bed. She started out the door and said, "where's my room?" I pointed towards it, and she said, "oh, under the curvy door?" (The entrance to the hallway leading to her room is an arch.) After she got out of the bathtub last night, Rick told her to go in her room and put her pajamas on, and she got out and headed in the opposite direction of her room, towards Jake's room. Rick said, "uh, Jillian - YOUR room!" She laughed and said, "oh, yeah." I guess she might have inherited my sense of direction!

We'd been thinking about what to do about the kitchen, and how to keep the kids out of it. The kids get up in the morning and come into my room to wake me up. Usually they come straight from their room to our room, but now that we are on opposite sides of the house, Rick and I were concerned that they'd take detours to the kitchen or hang out in the living room or playroom. We knew we could keep the living room safe, and of course the playroom is safe, but we were worried about the kitchen and my office. We brought a baby gate with us, which Rick put on our bedroom door the other day while he was unpacking in there. I went in later, and was in the closet, when Jake walked in. He'd climbed over the gate! So that wasn't an option for the kitchen!

The first night, both kids woke up and came straight into our room. Last night, Jillian came in to our room in the middle of the night, and I let her stay. (Now that we have a king sized bed, its not as big of a deal to have a kid in bed with us...) Rick left for work at his usual time and Jillian and I slept through it. At about 7:15, I woke up to Jake standing in front of me, holding a cupcake! He'd licked all the frosting off and was starting to eat the cake part! I panicked, wondering what else he'd gotten into, and what mess he'd made with all that icing. I scolded him, took the cupcake (and ate the rest of it myself - didn't want it to go to waste and I couldn't let him finish it!), and went into the kitchen. First, I discovered that he'd eaten a Valentine's cookie that was on the counter too (though he did save one for Jillian!). THEN, I discovered the door to the garage was open. There's a bunch of stuff in the garage that isn't safe for him! Fortunately, the light wasn't on and it was dark in the garage, so I doubt he spent much time in there. Also, there's not much in the garage, since we just moved in. But we can't have him going in the garage unsupervised!

So, today, I go in search of a taller gate for the kitchen! Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment