Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow Day!

We had a snow day today! The weatherman predicted 1-2 inches last night, but the front that brought the snow apparently slowed down right over top of Dallas, and we ended up with a lot more! So the kids and I bundled up and headed off to the park this morning. We called Rick on the way, and since we were going to a park near his office, he skipped out of work for a bit and met us there.

These pictures were taken at about 9:30 in the morning. It never stopped snowing all day, and at 10:30 p.m., it is still snowing here. When we left this morning, I had to shovel about 3 inches of snow off of my windshield, and some of the cars in our neighborhood have nearly a foot of snow on their roofs. We just saw on the news that this is a record one-day snowfall for Dallas!

Here's Jake, intrigued by the snow. He kept looking down at his feet, like, 'what the heck?'Jillian just took off. She didn't even wait for me to tell her to go play, she was just off and running. She thought the snow was great!
Daddy taught Jillian how to make a snowball...
Look at those red noses!

And then Jillian taught Jake how to make a snowball...


A snowy view of the park.

And the playground.

Daddy and Jillian made a snowman. About this time, Jake got upset. He didn't really have good gloves - when your hands are as small as his, no gloves really fit correctly. So he kept losing them, or taking them off, and his hands were freezing. So while Jillian and Rick worked on the snowman, I took Jake back to the car to warm up a bit. He was instantly happier when we got in the car!
When I went over to the playground to get some woodchips for our snowman's eyes and nose, Jillian came with me, and Rick stayed at the car with Jake. I showed Jillian the slides with all the snow on them, and she immediately said, "can I go down them to get the snow off?" I told her that she'd get her butt all wet, and she said, "its okay momma, its fun to get wet when you play in the snow!" And I thought, what the heck, she's right. So after a few slips and falls on the steps up to the slide ("its okay, mom, I'm not hurt!"), she cleared the snow off these two twin slides.

Jillian and her snowman friend!
And you can't have a snow day without making snow angels!
About the time Jillian was making her snow angels, Jake decided to give the snow another chance. He came over to investigate the snowman, and decided he liked him! Hugs for Mr. Snowman!
Just as we were getting ready to leave (which wasn't long after Jake hugged the snowman, because he got upset again...the kid was freezing!), Jillian said she was going to let the snowman borrow her gloves since we were leaving and she didn't need them anymore!
When we got home, both kids were worn out. Jillian snuggled with me on the couch until lunch time, and both kids went down for their naps easily. Jillian actually slept, which was nice (the day she turned 3, she apparently decided she no longer had to nap - just play quietly in her room).
This evening, I took some more pictures outside of the snow falling and the accumulation in the grassy areas. I tried to take a picture of George playing in the snow, because he was so funny! He was running like a madman, burying his head in the snow, and trying to attack it. He was having so much fun - like a little kid! But I couldn't get a picture because he was running to fast - he never slowed down.

What a fun day! We're hoping to get out to play again in the snow tomorrow, but we'll have to do it at home, instead of at the park. The temperature will drop tonight, and freeze all the slush and water on the roads, and I don't want to drive on that. And then its supposed to get warmer through the afternoon tomorrow, so I expect by Saturday the snow will be gone. And its supposed to get into the 50's this weekend! The weather in Texas sure is unpredictable!

1 comment:

  1. We were thinking about you guys and the snow! WOW- a lot more than we got on our first Thanksgiving with you guys in Dallas-- haha! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete