Sunday, January 24, 2010

Busy Week

It was a busy week at the Wilson household. On Sunday night, Jillian was sitting on the couch with Jake and Rick, and she started to fall, so Rick grabbed her by the arm and pulled her back up onto the couch. She started saying her arm hurt, and came into the kitchen, where I was, crying. I realized she was serious when I saw her arm hanging limp by her side.

I tried to distract her with puzzles and other fun things, but she kept favoring that arm. She did her whole puzzle one-handed, and turned down the chance to take a bath, which is highly unusual. That's when I knew she was really hurting. We gave her some Tylenol to help her with the pain, and put her to bed. When we checked on her before we went to bed, she still had that arm limp by her side, and the other one up by her head. (She generally sleeps with both arms raised above her head.) During the night, she came into our room, and rather than climbing in our bed, she woke me up and asked me to put her in our bed. I gave her more Tylenol and took her back to her bed. I had to sleep with her because she was hurting so much. She'd fall asleep, and wake up like 30 minutes later, whimpering. She did that all night long. She couldn't even roll over.

Rick and I were both sick with worry, so first thing in the morning, I made an appointment at her doctor's office. I was able to get us in just before lunch. All morning long, she favored that arm, letting it just hang limp by her side. I started thinking she might be milking it a little bit when I'd see her start to use the arm to play with a toy and then put it back to her side, but I was never sure if she knew I was watching her.

As I got us all ready to go to the doctor's office, I decided to take the kids to the park, to see if the change of scenery would help distract her from her arm. I called and asked to reschedule the appointment for later in the day, and off we went to the park. As soon as we got there, she ran over to the playground, and climbed up a ladder, using BOTH arms to pull herself up. I never mentioned her arm, and she played for over an hour at the park - going down slides, climbing the rock wall, climbing ladders, and just generally crawling all over the place. Her arm was fine! I called Rick to let him know, and then called to cancel our doctor's appointment. She hasn't mentioned her hurt arm since!

We, of course, are relieved that it wasn't something serious. We think that when Rick pulled her up onto the couch, he pulled her arm out of the socket and it popped itself back in at the same time, causing it to just be sore for the night. But she's fine now!

Tuesday and Wednesday we went to the park both days. We've been having such great weather, and its fun to play and get exercise all at the same time. Thursday, we played at the play area in the mall, and Friday we played after lunch at McDonalds. Friday night, we had dinner out and then went to Toys R Us to buy a princess costume for Jillian's birthday party.

On Saturday, Jillian and Rick went on a date. Rick took her to the Lakeshore Learning Center (a great toy store) for craft time. She made a blue felt wallet! Afterwards, they went to the ice cream shop, which Jillian loved, of course. While they were gone, Jake and I took a trip to Wal-Mart to grocery shop. When we all got home, we ate lunch and the kids and Rick took naps. After that, we packed up and went for a drive. We had dinner and then drove north, attempting to get far enough away from the Dallas lights to see the stars. We weren't successful. We drove quite a distance, but the stars were no brighter there than they are here in Dallas. But it was a nice drive, and relaxing. Well, for me and the kids, anyway.

Rick had to work today, so the kids and I went to church by ourselves, which is always a production. I'm not sure why, but somehow I'm able to take both kids tons of places - the mall, the post office, Target, the park - with no problems, but taking them to church by myself is so difficult! But we did it.

Here's hoping the coming week is just as exciting as last week (well, without the hurt arm scare, that is...)!

No comments:

Post a Comment