Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Jillian's Assessment

Jillian was recently tested as part of the VPK program at her school. The test is conducted twice - once at the beginning of the year, and again at the end of the year, and it is used as a bench- mark to make sure the kids are prepared to move on to kindergarten. Its a state-wide test, so all the kids in the VPK program across the state are taking the same test.

The test they give at the beginning of the year is the same test they give at the end of the year, and by the end of the year, the kids should be at least "meeting expectations" in the four areas tested: print knowledge, phonological awareness, mathematics, and oral language/vocabulary.

Jillian scored "Exceeding Expecatations" in Print Knowledge (she got a 12, and 10 and above is Exceeding), Phonological Awareness (she got a 12, and 11 and above is Exceeding), and Oral Language/Vocabulary (she got a 20, and 19 and above is Exceeding). In Mathematics, she just missed the Exceeding score, with a 14. A 15 would have put her at Exceeding, rather than Meeting Expectations.

So, what this means, is that Jillian is already exceeding the expectations that are set out for her for the END of the year. Kids that score in the Exceeding range are likely to score high on the Florida Kindergarten Readiness Screener.

I'm so proud of Jillian. And I'm happy that she is in a school that is committed to helping her continue to grow and learn at her own (fast) pace. Yay Jillian!

(And yes, I'm fully aware that I'm bragging. I get to do that, because she is so brag-worthy, and because it's my blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment