Jillian lost her very first tooth this morning! She came into the bathroom, where I was getting ready for work, with her hand over her mouth, holding something in her hand. When I looked close, I could see that her mouth was bleeding. I asked her if she was okay, and she said, "mom?" as she held up her hand, with her tooth in it! I said, "is that your tooth? I didn't even know it was loose!!" And she said, "it wasn't. I bit down on something hard." So, of course, I panicked, which made her sort of panic. I told her we were going to call Rick, and I got her a wet washcloth to bite down on to stop the bleeding.
It was bleeding more than I thought it should be, so I looked to see if I could tell whether the whole tooth came out, or if it broke off. I couldn't really tell from looking at the tooth, but it looked like the hole was a real hole, without a broken tooth in it. Rick, of course, wasn't worried at all. Jillian was telling me that it hurt, so I wasn't convinced. I told her to get a drink of water, and when she did, she looked out the window and saw that Laura had just gotten home. She asked if she could go show Laura, which I thought was a good idea, since Laura has older kids, and might be able to tell if the whole tooth had come out. Of course, Laura said not to worry, that it was the entire tooth, and the root, and that everything was fine. She did suggest having Jillian swish salt water in her mouth, which we did (it took some convincing, but Jillian did it).
By the time we got to school, Jillian was pretty proud of her lost tooth. She showed EVERYONE. She's the first in her class to lose a tooth, so it was pretty big news. She's excited about the tooth fairy making an appearance tonight (she left three gold dollar coins).
I know that Jillian's tooth wasn't loose last night, because I brushed her teeth before she went to bed. It must have been a smidgen loose though, becasue what she bit down on was a button on a pair of shorts, and I don't think that would have caused her tooth to be pulled out unless it was at least a little loose. But it was definitley not time for that tooth to come out. Its probably going to be a long time before the adult tooth fills in. For now, snaggle tooth Jillie!
No comments:
Post a Comment